Monday, October 13, 2008

Good night, sleep tight!

Every time I hear another mom talk about how their kid goes to bed at 7 and wakes up at 7 I think to myself, really? Is that possible?
We've struggled for the last couple of months with the nap or no nap thing with Kylie. She really needs a rest during the day, but when she gets one she's not falling asleep until 10:00 at night! So, we decided that just isn't going to work. So, we've been trying the no nap for a while now. I'm happy to say night-times were going smoother and much earlier which is great, but the down-side is that Kylie acts like a little monster by around 5:00!
To top it all off, for who knows how long now either Adam or I lays with Kylie every night until she goes to sleep. Every night! Then, when she wakes up in the middle of the night she wants one of us to come in there and lay with her again until she falls back asleep! When this happens 2 or 3 times a night it's like having a newborn all over again. Kylie has never been a good sleeper, but Adam and I are at our whit's-end!

The good news! For the past two nights Kylie has gone to sleep completely on her own and has not woken up either night! I figure if she can learn to go to sleep on her own, then she can fall BACK asleeep on her own. It's only been 2 nights, but man I'm happy about it!

This parenting thing sure is hard! You want so badly to do whatever it is that you can to make your child happy and when you have to do those things that you know are going to hurt them (like a shot) or scare them (going to sleep alone) it's hard not to just crater and want to fix it. As I sit in the living room hearing Kylie cry for a good ten minutes that first night she was trying to sleep alone my heart just sank. It was horrible. I knew she was scared and I could almost feel what she was feeling. Last night I went by her room and said a prayer for her that she would sleep peacefully and not be afraid and then I felt I had done exactly what I needed to do in this situation. I know there are times where I'm going to have to let her face her fears on her own. I'm just thankful her angels are always with her! I know they'll watch over my baby even when I can't.

2 comments:

Sara Ratliff said...

Becky
We struggle with the same thing with Elle. We have tried everything but letting her cry it out, and just feel that right now we don't want to try that option. SO, she sleeps with us and I often fall asleep before she does. I have to sleep, or it is really bad for me at work. Elle says "Mommy, I don't know how to sleep by myself, maybe when I am 4." So I am banking on that in March!!! Keeping my fingers crossed and my prayers lifted!! Keep up the good work.

Lydia Mills- said...

Hi becky!
Oh my goodness, you write such great things about being a parent- you really put all the fears and guilt, and pure joy into words so well.
I think for the most part my girls fall into the annoying 'really?' category- they have always been great little sleepers at night (whew!)- but with naps we have certainly had our fair share of issues! Molly has been driving me crazy since she started boycotting naps- she's only 2 and she definitely still needs one- what a crabby baby! And Mer still really could use one most days too, but like you said- if she does, then she's up later messing around in bed. Who knows!? You sound like you (& Adam) are doing an awesome job with sweet Kylie. This too shall pass.....