Saturday, August 13, 2016

I'll Fly Away

And in just four weeks after the diagnosis, my dad is gone. During those four weeks, each day was worse than the one before. He wanted to fight, he really did, but at some point the fatigue and pain became so overwhelming he had to choose comfort.  We all agreed it was the best choice. Through it, he had so many painful days, full of confusion and frustration.

But... he also had LOVE.  So much LOVE.  During the past month, he has never been alone. Either he was with my mom, my sister or me the entire time.  He wanted it that way.  It was no time to be alone. He wanted his family to be together, and we were.  We talked more than we have in a really long time, and more importantly, we laughed more than we had in a long time.

In the end, we all told him over and over how much we loved him and how proud we were of him.  I promised I would take care of his grandbabies and be the best mom I could be.  I would protect them and not take any chances.  He would always say, "I love you sugar. Don't take any chances." He was always so overprotective of his family, especially my mom and his girls.

On his last days, we played songs, and on one of his last days where he was awake, music was the one thing that would calm him down.  "I'll Fly Away" was always one of his favorites.  When we turned it on, his eyes opened up and he began to sing the words to the chorus.  What a glorious memory!  I'll never forget it.  We sang quite a few songs that day,,,songs about Heaven, about our walk with the Lord, and about the God's promises.

And now my hope lies in the true promise of Heaven. He has made his flight to be with our Heavenly Father.

Love you daddy,
Sugar

http://www.npwelch.com/obituary/william-roy-mahurin/


0 comments: